About Me

My photo
My name is Donna and I am a mother of three amazingly loud and wild boys. My son Bryland was born in September 2007. My son Jackson was born 14 months later in November 2008. And my youngest was born in January 2011. I’ve been married to most amazing and Godly man, Jeremy, since August 2004. Since I became a mom, I was blessed to stay home for 2 years and returned to teaching half-time Kindergarten but it was very challenging for our family, so I am home again. :) I absolutely love my family and my Jesus!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jesus' Birthday Cake

I love following blogs. When I'm bored, I try to catch up with all the blogs that I haven't read in awhile and of course I always end up finding new ones to follow. I can't remember how I found this one but it was probably one of the mornings I couldn't sleep because of my contractions.

When I first read this blog, I had to laugh because she completely reminded me of myself. I have attempted to make special cakes for the boys' birthday since Bryland turned one. I love throwing big parties and each year I feel like I have to one up myself but I am finally ok (I think) with just making it fun for the kids and not going all crazy.

For Bryland's first birthday, we had a "Gettin' Wiggy With It" Party and I got the idea from a friend. It was so much fun because the guests came wearing wigs and one of the games I had about 20 pictures of Bryland and I photoshopped different celebrity hair on his pictures. I made a huge cupcake cake for him to smash his face in (but he barely touched it).
For his second birthday we had a Cars themed party and I attempted to make a bunch of little cars, with buildings driving on a road using fondant. It was not pretty! It was so stressful and it stressed my husband out too because he of course was my helper! My sister picked up a cake for me and we put some of Bryland's toy cars on there.


And for his third, I made Spider looking cupcakes for his Spiderman party.



Luckily, on Jackson first birthday I used regular icing and made a beautiful cake for his Pirate themed party even though the treasures are much bigger than the sunken ship.
I also had anything that had gold foiled wrapper as treasures for centerpieces.


And for his second birthday, I just made cupcakes but spent alot of time on the Krabby Patties, since it was a Spongebob Party.
I did make my brother make him a birthday cake that looked like a burger. I think I saw it on Bakerella and was planning on making it for a Cupcake contest party and my brother didn't have an idea so he took it from me. I wasn't very pleased that he won since I took the time to find the idea but he was better friend's with the host, so I gave in. So because of that and him always making me make desserts for his hunting trip, I told him he had to. :)

Finally, for my sister-in-laws baby shower, I had a great plan to make a beautiful cake for her bird themed shower that didn't turn out at all. I was so upset that I went to a local bakery and spent $50 on the best cakes. After this, I decided fondant was no longer for me and that made my husband extremely happy!!!
So, now on to this cake. I enjoyed making this cake because it was so simple and easy and turned out beautifully. First I baked to rounds of confetti cake. That's the cake we use every year for Jesus' Birthday. I used two boxes of cake mix but next year, we'll do small rounds and only use one box because we had more than enough. We calculated that this could feed around 30 people and there was only the 4 of us. :) Here is the link and her directions are way better than mine. http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/04/dress-up-cakes-without-stress.html Check out all the different ones she made.

Next, frost the cake. I did cut the bottom layer to help the top layer lay flat. We love rainbow chip frosting and cream cheese frosting and if I remember correctly, that was what we used but anything will do.

Then I got several packages of Kit Kats and frosted them four at a time and "glued" it around and we had just enough. You'll see on the blog that I found this recipe that she used different sweets to fill the top and around the cake too. Soooooo creative!

Once that is complete, tie a ribbon around and fill the top with whatever you choose. We chose pretzal M&Ms and mint M&Ms.

This is how Jesus' Birthday Cake turned out. Everyone loved it, especially the boys. They were up until 11p.m. that night! I wonder why?

This is us singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus! I love this tradition that we have and so do the boys.

And this is how much we ate of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment